2017 AUMA Smart Cities Session Highlights
On November 23, 2017 the Alliance presented at the Alberta Urban Municipalities Association (AUMA) Convention, offering a session on "Smart Communities - Practice Advice to Achieve Success". Over 150 Alberta mayors, councillors, and chief administrators attended to hear advice from Alliance leaders, and consider their own Smart City plans.
The session description was:
The world is changing, with rapid urban growth and rising expectations for instantaneous information, government efficiency, and multi-sector collaboration. New “Smart City” technologies and ideas can support the innovation required to foster clean, efficient, and prosperous 21st century communities. Join experts from the Alberta Smart City Alliance to discuss the importance of a Smart City approach for your community and hear practical stories and advice on how to move forward.
Hosted by Alliance Director Travis Peter, session speakers included:
• Session Host / MC:
- Bruno Peters – Smart City Strategist / Deputy Regional Director, IBI Group and Member Alberta Smart City Alliance
• Smart City Overview:
- Peter Guest – Public Sector Client Technical Leader, IBM Canada
- Moderator: Jonathan Neufeld – CEO, TECTERRA
- Cathy Heron – Mayor, City of St. Albert
- Heather Reed-Fenske – Chief Information Technology Officer, City of Calgary
- Soumya Ghosh – Director Smart City, City of Edmonton
• Smart Cities Challenge Update:
- Lisa Allaire - Senior Advisor, Communications, Smart Cities Challenge - Infrastructure Canada