National Smart Cities Challenge Launched
On November 23, 2017 the Smart City Alliance was pleased to participate in the launch of the Canadian Smart Cities Challenge. This program complements a previous recommendation the Alliance made to the Government of Canada.
The Smart Cities Challenge is a competition open to all municipalities, local or regional governments, and Indigenous communities (First Nations, Inuit, and Métis) across Canada. This Challenge will empower communities across the country to address local issues their residents face through new partnerships, using a smart cities approach. A smart cities approach means achieving meaningful outcomes for residents through the use of data and connected technology. This approach can be adopted by any community, big or small. Finalists will receive support to develop their smart cities proposals. Winning communities will be awarded with prize money to help implement them.
- Application deadline: April 24, 2018
- Announcement of finalists: Summer 2018
- Announcement of winners: Spring 2019
Who can apply?
- Municipalities, local or regional governments
- Indigenous communities
- Groups of organisations above
- One prize of up to $50 million
- Two prizes of up to $10 million each
- One prize of up to $5 million
For more, visit: https://impact.canada.ca/en/challenges/smart-cities